Welcome all! I’m so excited to announce to all of you that this will be the first article of my brand new Sunday series, rightfully named: Servin’ It Up Sundays On TheGirlDish. Every Sunday I will be bringing you some brand new content including but not limited to, “Hot To” and “DIY” type articles, opinion pieces and reviews on products and events, and anything you may suggest to me in the comments.
I hope you all enjoy this new series which will come to you all every Sunday. Without further ado, I bring to you the very first segment of Servin’ It Up Sundays On TheGirlDish.
Ten Tips for a Better Mood
*Disclaimer* By no means am I a doctor or health professional, so please consult with your physician before taking on any diet or exercise program or before taking any medication (over the counter or prescribed) to try to uplift your mood.
Winter is the time of year people find they are unhappier and in some cases with seasonal depression (consult your physician if you believe you are experiencing this). This can be due to the weather, the earlier nightfall, poor food choices around the holidays, ect. Here are ten ways you can naturally enhance your mood.
1. Meditate. This is at the top of my list because so many people do not take enough quiet time for themselves. Another reason why it is very important because it takes you back to your breath. You’d be surprised how often we hold our breaths throughout the day.
When you first try meditating, you will probably find it hard to sit still for even a few minutes without your mind being bombarded with thoughts. Meditation is a practice and every time is different. I’ve been meditating for about nine years now and I have days where I have a hard time being still in silence without my mind firing off like a loose cannon. The key is your breath. Take conscious breaths in and out. Every time you find yourself getting lost in thoughts come back to your breath. Doing this for even 5 minutes before you start your day every morning can really make a difference in your mood and how you handle stress.
2. Exercise. When you exercise you body releases endorphins that have been proven to put you in a better mood. Not to mention, exercise is a great stress reliever. If you don’t believe me, check out this article I found on Harvard Medical School’s website http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Exercise-and-Depression-report-excerpt.htm/
3. Eat Right. It’s not surprise that you are what you eat. If you’re always eating greasy, sugary, unhealthy foods, chances are you won’t be as happy as someone who puts more lean meats, leafy greens, and fruit in their diet. Eat good to feel good.
4. Drink Green Tea. Not only is green tea full of beneficial antioxidants, it’s a proven natural mood enhancer. According to Psychology Today’s web article Green tea on the Brain, it’s also good for your overall brain health. You can check that out here : http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200306/green-tea-the-brain
5. Surround yourself with people who will give you energy, rather than people who will drain your energy. Don’t waste your time around people who will suck your energy from you. When you separate yourself from that you will notice a less tense environment. Also, you will find it a lot easier to enjoy your day.
6. Do the things you enjoy. You owe it to yourself to make time for things you like. I also believe if something makes you feel that badly, you should remove it from your To-Do List. Life was meant to enjoy, so why spend it doing things that you find unpleasant. Don’t get me wrong, we have obligations that may not be pleasant from time to time. .
Take having a bad day at work for example. Sometimes you just have a bad day. I’m not saying to quit your job, go back to school and start a new career that you think you’ll enjoy more because you had a bad day. However, if you find that day in and day out you are more and more unhappy at your job, maybe it’s time to analyze why. Is it your attitude? Your pay vs. job demands? Your boss? All of these things will help you decide if you should start job hunting, change your career, or change your attitude towards your current job. Does that make sense to you?
7. Be cautious of how you talk to yourself. Are you your own worst critic? Are you the kind of person who talks down to yourself and beats yourself up on a constant? Do yourself a favor – don’t. Treat yourself with respect and dignity just as you would a dear friend or family member. Being a positive reinforcement for you is very powerful!
8. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Don’t worry about things you can’t control. There is no use in stressing over things especially when you have no control over the outcome. If anxiety and stress are heavy burdens on your shoulders, try meditation, yoga, getting a massage, or other relaxing activities. If the stresses of life become too much for you to bear, please, seek professional counsel.
9. Be Grateful. I know everyone has hardships and obstacles to face each day. While some are more daunting than others, always remember, it can always be worse than what it is. Take time each day to really account for all of the things you are grateful for – your car, your home, your family, food in your pantry, the clothes on your back. If you’re having a hard time with this exercise, chances are you are an ingrate. And that’s just being honest. If you can’t find something to be grateful for then you are too wrapped up in yourself and your own problems. Open your eyes and see that the world doesn’t revolve around you. It’s a harsh reality, but once I learned this, I became such a happier person.
10. Love Yourself. Take it from someone who hated everything about themselves – life is a lot more enjoyable when you learn how to love yourself for all that you are. Every flaw and imperfection doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Love yourself so you can let the rest of the world’s love in. You are a unique, beautiful individual and you deserve to be loved. Yes, you do. Do you want to know a secret? That love starts with you.
I hope these tips helped you out! Remember, your day is all that you make it to be!