Dress suit? Check. Shoes shined? Check. Resume and cover letter updated and perfect? Check. You’re confident that you have what it takes to be granted a new position. Heck, you have the interview in the bag! Clearly, you have what it takes to get the job, but do you have what it takes if you don’t?
Let me clear that statement up for you. What happens when you do everything right and you seem like the perfect fit, it’s just…well, it’s just they’ve found a “better fit” for their company? One may feel discouraged, upset, or even depressed after hearing the news that, “it came really close and you are definitely qualified, but, we picked another applicant.” Here’s what you should do when you don’t get the job.
- Relax. It’s not the end of the world. You shouldn’t feel like a failure because it just means that there’s a better opportunity out there for you. With each door that closes, another one opens. Sounds cliché but it’s true.
- Don’t Dwell. The more you dwell on it, the more and more it’s going to get you down. Simply take it as a grain of salt (their loss) and move on. You know what you have to offer and when the right opportunity comes along, it will have your name written all over it.
- No Trash Talking. Just because a company found a “better fit” doesn’t mean it gives you the right to trash talk them or the person they hired. Word travels faster than the speed of light these days and it would be a shame to miss out on future opportunities at that same company or somewhere else because of something so petty.
- Stay Focused. Today’s job market can be extremely competitive (especially with everyone and their mother going back to school and earning degrees), so be sure to stay focused. Just because one or two places didn’t pick you doesn’t mean three, or four, or heck, even 25 won’t. Like I said before, the right opportunity will have your name written all over it.
- Optimism Is Key. It’s easy to fall into a pessimistic mindset once a few things in life don’t go your way. It’s important to keep the “glass half full” mentality because honestly, it just makes life more enjoyable. Stay positive and hopeful because what you think in your mind will then manifest into your reality.
So put down that pint of ice cream and get back to it! If you believe you WILL achieve and that’s really all there is to it. Sounds too good to be true, I know. The universe (or God, whichever you prefer) has a funny way of giving you what you need exactly when you need it. Don’t forget that there is something great for you waiting around the corner.